This costume was a collaborative effort with my hubby
to go with his Subject Delta Big Daddy cosplay. Unfortunately I hadn’t had time to start on the Big Sister suit until about a month before Dragoncon because I was helping him earlier in the summer with his Big Daddy for Cosplacon (I helped sew together the bodysuit and painted stuff). After Cosplacon he had a lot of things to remake on Big Daddy, but he took a break from it so we would for-sure have Big Sister done. After we were in the safe zone on that, I went back to helping again on his.
(This will contain spoilers if you haven’t played the game ) Just to clarify, this is Eleanor’s Big Sister suit – not one of the regular Big Sisters that most people think about, which have different features (the cage and larger tank on their backs, the extra leather on their torsos and legs, the red light, etc). Eleanor’s suit is like an incomplete Big Sister suit, and her light shines Green in-game because she’s an ally. I’ve had people ask me if my light could turn red or why I hadn’t done the extra bits, but doing those things would no longer make me Eleanor specifically. XD
Something I learned was that the artists couldn’t make up their minds about a lot of the details. There were differences between the in-game renders, cutscenes, the figurine, and original artwork. I ended up going more with the in-game render, but I did some picking and choosing for areas where I couldn’t get a good reference, or if there were things I liked more about the artwork verses the game.
So onto the construction!
I made the bodysuit out of Denim using the mock-up pattern that I had made for my Journey bodysuit last winter. From there I made a bunch of fake seams and patches to match the references. I tea stained it slightly, and while it was still wet I painted it with acrylic before letting it air-dry. Those spots that were painted spread out thanks to the damp-ness to add a really cool effect. Once it was dry I went back in and did more dry-brushing and finer details.
The helmet was originally going to be a fabric-mache globe before our spray foam idea ruined it and I had to throw it out. XD A friend of ours suggested using an acrylic globe from Amazon (the kind used for lamp covers), and that ended up working out great! The porthole is actually the original opening from the bottom of the globe, and we cut all out all the other holes with a hot knife. I first sketched everything out with some sharpies first so I could know where to glue everything later. The details were made out of craft foamies and EVA foam (It’s floor mat foam! Same material as craft foamies, but thicker). The tube is a plastic flexible tubing. Once the foam was all glued in place, I coated the foam with two layers of mod podge before spray painting the whole thing with a hammered paint. Once dry, I painted the rims around the holes and then dry-brushed darker areas, dirt, and highlights with a variety of acrylics. A stretchy green fabric was glued over the holes, and a battery powered LED Push light is on the inside. I can actually see well enough out the porthole when the light isn’t on, but when it is it’s like being in a bright room and trying to see outside when it’s dark (in other words, I cant’s see very well when the light is on XD)
Kyle constructed the shoulder/neck piece and tanks out of EVA foam, and I painted them using the same process as the helmet. I swear – half the work on this costume was all the hand painting. D: To curve the Eva foam pieces, he used a heat gun and held the shape in place as it cooled over our air conditioning unit. XD I attached Velcro to the front underside so it could hold the whole thing forward (though the tanks are very light, the weight distribution causes the whole thing to shift back without the Velcro).
We got the platform boots from Salvation Army, and all the buckles from a local fabric warehouse for super cheap. I had to spray-paint the buckles silver since they were originally gold, and the boots were painted brown with Angelus leather paints. I cut out strips (for the belts) from a leather piece we also got from the fabric warehouse. EVA foam was used for the pieces attached directly to the sides, and Kyle helped me with the braces, which were made out of wooden slats with EVA foam on the outer sides. He had to drill holes in them so that they could still rotate on the pivot points at my ankles and knees.
I made the gloves and the knee/elbow pad things. Used a pattern for the gloves, and attached foam pieces for the plate looking things, and the elbow and knee pieces were just craft foam with fabric glued around them.
Kyle also did most of the work building weapon props, and I painted them using the same processes as before. They’re made out of EVA foam, wooden dowels, plastic tubing, and a piece of a cardboard tube. I made the pressure gages out of googly eyes by cutting them open and replacing the backing. Before gluing them I inserted little compass hands from a set of scrapbooking stuff I got ages ago for steampunk jewelry ideas. The syringes of Pure ADAM (green) and EVE (blue) were made out of glass test tubes we got from a science store that I filled with dyed resin. They strap in place with leather straps. The bottle for the red ADAM is made from a condiments bottle that had the tip trimmed and sealed up with hot glue. That part is covered with a nipple meant for a baby bottle, which is held in place thanks to a ring made from an empty mod podge bottle (because the rubber nipple does not take glue well at all). The whole top piece screws off so we can hold red Gatorade in it!
Photo taken at the Georgia Aquarium during Dragoncon!
Photography by Kiratsukai kiratsukai.tumblr.com/
Bioshock 2 is (c) 2K Games